love & lifestyle photography

the wonder years

I've always considered my eldest special; sorry for all you parents of regulars, but this kid is something. She first spoke at 10mos and it was 2, count em, 2-words! Ever since, she has been expanding her vocabulary and defining words should she think we need them defined. She can talk like an auctioneer and hold the conversation for anyone pretending to listen to her (nope, never done that myself, always listening - I am). I've got my husband and grandma (of course grandma) convinced that she's a wonder. I even wrote it in this year's Christmas card: Anais has meant the learning outcomes for the year already (this is me, not joking!)
Isn't that what I heard reinforced from the teacher at conference? She was smiling a lot.
Except we got our, I mean, her first report card today. And although there's a load of PC, feelings-friendly jargon (I have written these things before) that one must wade through, I didn't read anything about "exceeding expectations". What? But her teacher must not recognize... How could my wonder-of-a-child not be exceeding expectations?
Ohh...

...hold...

...on here...

The preschool teacher never recognized her brilliance either. Wait a minute, does this have anything to do with how other kindergarteners could also recognize letters, some even writing them out like ol' pros! And, dare I say it, better than my child?
Could she not...you mean...
...she's, she's not brilliant after all?

Thank goodness I haven't sent out the Christmas letters!