love & lifestyle photography

s-poke-ane get away; iphoneography


Ryder & I enjoyed a mama-son weekend get-away before school finally started this week.  We played tourist in Spokane, a city I love to visit.  It's big enough to house a host of stores, artists and inspiration, yet small enough to still find a parking spot.
We shared our time between his & hers.  "His" being the park, electronic stores & Sky High.  "Hers" being flea markets, tattoo, coffee & clothing shops. The cross-over points: samurai swords at flea markets and sushi houses.
Yes, I glossed over the tattoo parlor.  I don't want to make a big deal of it but I got a tattoo.  It was a perfectly thought out whim, if that makes any sense.  I've been working on an unofficial bucket-list. Just some things I would like to do in my life, as approaching 40 will have one do.  Like catching the Northern Lights and seeing fireflies.
As for my tattoo design, the word was chosen.  The font was chosen.  And it serves as a reminder that I am chosen. But the wheres, whens and hows weren't solidified.
There are a precious few opportunities when a mama asks herself what she wants to do.  Often we are thinking of the family and balancing a myriad of desires. But I asked myself the question this weekend and surprised myself with the answer.
I wanted to get my "beloved" tattoo.
The word "beloved" is from the Greek word "agapetos", meaning loved or beloved.  I had been obsessing over every arch and curve of the word for months.  And yes, she is pretty, but the meaning is where I hold it's true value.
The same word has two special applications:  
1) the Beloved, a title of the Messiah (Christ) as beloved by his father God
2) of Christians, as beloved by God, Christ, and one another.
Did you catch that?  God uses the same word, the same love, the same name to describe his feelings for Jesus as he does for me.
Beloved.
As the fresh ink seeps into my still-raised flesh, I am reminded that it will likely take a life-time to absorb this truth.

___________________

 nerd - out: Strong's Concordance
agapétos: beloved
Original Word: ἀγαπητός, ή, όν
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: agapétos
Phonetic Spelling: (ag-ap-ay-tos')
Short Definition: loved, beloved
Definition: loved, beloved, with two special applications: the Beloved, a title of the Messiah (Christ), as beloved beyond all others by the God who sent Him; of Christians, as beloved by God, Christ, and one another.

picture locations & places to see:
Garland district: movie theatre, Garland tattoo, Monroe Street flea market
Coeur coffeehouse
Riverside Park & Sky Ride
University District
Boo Radley's & Atticus Gifts